Monday, October 5, 2009

THE FATHER OF PHILIPPINE JUDO

I met THE FATHER OF PHILIPPINE JUDO, Mr. Pedro Balingit when he was still alive and also at the Philippine Institute of Criminology. The author of a judo book that went through several editions and revisions, Mr. Balingit studied in Japan and kept judo going during WWII and was also very active after the war. When I visited him at his house and home dojo, he did a head stand for me and showed me a number of things and we had a great discussion of things to be sure. I regret not being able to visit him after that time but he graciously autographed my book which I still have in my library.

4 comments:

  1. I would like to thank you in behalf of my father.Sounds funny that a foreigner like you is the one praising and recognizing the Grand old man of judo.Im Ferdinand Balingit the sixth son of Pedro S. Balingit and also teaching at Claret School of Quezon City here in Manila.Philippines.
    If you have questions regarding my papa my email add is fbbjudo@yahoo.com at http://www.friendster.com you can view his pictures there.thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also reach me in facebook.just type fbbjudo@yahoo.com aka ferdie bautista balingit thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings! I used to be a student of your father way, way back when I was still in my high school. Now I'm in my late 50's and I'm telling my son my experience with the master because he's into mixed martial arts. Where can I get in touch with you?

      Delete
    2. Hello I am Ferdinand Bautista's daughter, right now my father is teaching in the Claret School of Quezon City, since there is a pandemic he is not looking to teach anyone right now but if you're still interested in contacting him try reaching out to the school online and then mention his name along with the judo club.

      Delete